Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)
When is an ICD implantation recommended?
ICD may be recommended for patients who have experienced any of the following:
- Previous heart attacks, with weakened functioning of the left ventricle that increases the risk of sudden cardiac death
- History of ventricular tachycardia (VT) or ventricular fibrillation (VF) that does not respond to antiarrhythmic medications or patients who cannot take antiarrhythmic medication for whatever reason.
- Coronary artery disease and may have an underlying arrhythmia
- Cardiac arrest – ICD use can lower the risk of sudden cardiac death in patients with heart failure by more than 20 percent
- Atrial fibrillation, when symptoms don’t respond to treatment with medications.