Asthma Evaluation and Treatment
What is asthma?
Asthma is achronic inflammatory disorder of the airways, where theairways become irritated andinflamed causing them to become narrower and produce extra mucus. This results in difficulty for air to flowinto and out of the lungs, which causes recurrent episodes of wheezing,breathlessness, chest tightness and coughing.
What triggers asthma?
The causes triggering asthma may vary from person to person, they generally include
- Infections such as colds and flu
- Irritants such as dust, cigarette smoke, fumes
- Chemicals found in the workplace – this is called occupational asthma
- Allergies to pollen, medicines, animals, house dust mite or certain foods
- Exercise – especially in cold, dry air
- Emotions – laughing or crying very hard can trigger symptoms, as can stress